DO I NEED TO TAKE THE GMAT OR GRE TO APPLY FOR AN MBA IN THE USA?
Most universities in the U.S.A. require GMAT scores for their schools of Business and Management. The Graduate Management Admissions Test is traditionally the go-to standardized test to assess if a student is a good candidate to enroll in an MBA program. Once you take the test, it is valid for 5 years and 5 years only. If you let it expire, you will need to take it again. The GRE is also a valid option for some universities and it can waive the GMAT, but you need to find out if it’s an option, before you take it.
The GMAT test consists of 3 sections:
You will be given 30 minutes to complete this part of the test. It consists of typewritten essays; some of the most popular topics of this essays include the analysis of an argument or the analysis of an issue.
You will be given 75 minutes to complete this part of the test. There are 37 multiple-choice questions where you have to prove proficiency in problem-solving and data sufficiency in subjects such as Geometry and Algebra.
You will be given 75 minutes to complete this part of the test. There are 41 multiple-choice questions in which you will have to prove proficiency in sentence correction, critical thinking and reading comprehension.
500 is an average GMAT score to be considered a good candidate for an MBA. But, that is just an estimate. Getting admitted into an MBA in the USA can get extremely competitive and a good GMAT score is just part of the process. Work experience, good grades from your bachelor’s degree, a competitive GPA are also game players. EduBookings can help you weight all these aspects and find universities that can waive one or the other, according to your credentials.
TIPS TO A SUCCESSFUL GMAT TEST
- Prepare with at least 4 to 6 months in advance. Preparation is definitely the key to a confident student.
- Understand every part of the test and practice individually.
- Organize a realistic calendar including timed practices for each part of the test, practice on your strengths and heavy practice on your weaknesses. Stick to that schedule, no matter what.
- Set a goal score. Find out if there is a minimum GMAT score for the university or universities you are applying to. 500 is an average competitive score but some universities might require a higher number. Visualize that score and work hard to get there. Having a set goal in your mind will help you focus and succeed.
- Work on your timing. Some students have issues completing the 3 parts of the test within the given time. Practice at home with real GMAT potential questions and time your answers.
- Prepare and study with well-recognized materials. The GMAT Official Guide offers printed and online editions and it costs US $30. Try to stick to legitimate study materials and make sure you don’t use many of them so that you keep the same line of study.
- After studying hard for months, working on your weaknesses and reviewing your strengths, you are well prepared. So, understand that getting a good GMAT score is important when studying your MBA in the USA, but not the only aspect to consider. A good resume, experience, and good grades play also a big role in the admission process. Give the test the importance it deserves but relax, it’s not the end of the world.
NO GRE OR GMAT? NO PROBLEM
Depending on your grades or your GPA, your English level, the program you are applying to or the university, EduBookings can help you waive the GRE or GMAT, which are very common test requirements for some of the Graduate programs offered in the U.S.A. We understand that those standardized tests can be extremely competitive and sometimes you are just a couple of points away from meeting the admissions criteria for your Master’s abroad.
In some cases, especially when it comes to the MBA or any Master’s in business, the GMAT is a requirement for admission; but if you have taken the GRE, some universities accept one or the other. There are also instances in which work experience can help you waive these tests, and many International students don’t know this is a possibility. EduBookings is here to make sure that you know all your options.